Simply Good Restaurant Reviews

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Carmel, CA - Casanova - 2005 (MOVED)

RATING (* for Poor to ***** for Excellent)

Food: *****
Service: ***
Ambience: *****
Value: ****

Casanova Website






GENERAL: This is one of my favorite resturants in Carmel - I just can't stop coming back to this place! Frankly, I don't even like Southern French that much, but the charming restaurant makes me feel like I'm in Europe again and the food - probably a bit "Californianized" - is simple and simply good. I now make excuses to go to Carmel so that I eat at Casanova again!

FOOD: The owner claims to be making Southern French / Northern Italy. Since I haven't travelled to that part of the world, I can't commend on the food's authenticity. One thing is for sure - they food is GREAT. I don't easily give out five stars but I'll make an exception for Casanova.

Consistent with Southern French style of cooking, dishes are typically simple - sauteed or braise meat or fish with vegetables - and not garnished. We've tried many dishes like Moules aux Piments (Mussels w/ pepper), Cannelloni Casanova or roasted salmon, and they are all well-prepared. I wouldn't say either meats or seafood is better, but in a big group it seems like seafood receives higher mark.

The desserts there are no less than spectacular. I suspect that they would have gotten four stars if it wasn't for the desserts. They have a Basque taste and texture - then again I've never tasted real Southern French / Northen Italy (which neighbors Basque) to know. On the dessert table you will see "pie", even an American-looking pecan pie, but they taste anything but American. I have a piece of the chocolate Nougatine AND a tiramisu (beware kids, lots of liquer in there) and I wanted another dessert but I forgot to bring my insulin shot (just kidding!).

SERVICE: Alright, this is the one that get me in trouble. Service is always attentive and efficient, but unfortunately not real personal. I mean, I don't want to be the waiter's best friend either, but in this kind of restaurant you would expect that the wait staff cares about whether your food was good or whether your kid is about to fall down from his seat (hmmm, maybe it's my two adorably wild kids). Overall, I would say service is functional but weak.

AMBIENCE: This is a romantic place. HINT: small children and rowdy bachelor parties are less welcome than pets. I'm not sure about the claim as "Carmel's most romantic restaurant" since I haven't been to all of them, but if it gets any more romantic I won't be able to swallow food. It has got a classic European country decor; nothing lavish, but it matches its cuisine perfectly, which is important to me. The place feels somewhat crowded during peak hours - mostly due to the partitioning of the house into separate areas, but it actually enhances the Old World romantic flavor (ever been to France - talk about small tables!!).

VALUE: This is by no means a cheap diner - yet the value is outstanding considering its location and overall quality. You will find it priced in the mid-range at the high-end city of Carmel, yet I trust that your dining experience will be unmatched by others in the same range. BTW, since you are paying for the ambience as well, dinner offers far better value than lunch - Plus you can park your car on the street for two hours without having to move it every hour.


BOTTOMLINE: If you insist that a view of the main street or ocean is extremely important, then go elsewhere, and don't complain about their food. If you want a slightly adventurous and high standard dinner in an adorable setting, Casanova won't disappoint you. OH BTW, PLEASE be sure to save room and time for dessert - you can do all the kissing you want back home.

LAST WORD: If you plan to come in with a group larger than 10, call ahead and book one of the rooms in the back. You might get lucky and have a room all by yourself - and it's a nice one too!


 
Hit Counter Code